How to Persevere In Spite of Fear with Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman
Today I’m having a conversation with former UFC fighter and bestselling author of Driven: The Unlikely Journey from Classroom to Cage. He is also a podcast host, a speaker, a husband and a dad. Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman is back on the show for his third episode!
We’re going to have an authentic conversation about how to approach life as a constant learner, how to live by your core values, and how to find work that makes you come alive. We also discuss how to teach our kids extreme ownership, how to accept our fears and take action in spite of them, and how to keep momentum while pursuing our goals even when we feel like giving up.
I’m talking to the inner voice in all of us that feels alone and that feels like we can’t do it.
Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman
Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman is a professional mixed martial arts fighter, speaker and mentor. Following a successful high school wrestling career, Charlie took his talents to Lock Haven University where he achieved a top 12 finish at Division I Nationals and 1st Team All-Academic. After teaching Spanish for three years and winning Spike TV’s Pros vs. Joes, Charlie decided to leave his job to pursue a master’s degree and begin his professional fighting career—“The Spaniard” was born. In 2011, he was ranked as high as #7 in the world. “The Spaniard” has fought at the highest level of the sport in three countries. He currently lives in PA with his wife, daughter and son where he has transitioned to speaking, writing, and hosting The Spaniard Podcast about learning, acquiring wisdom and toughness through books, conversations and interviews, and training.
To do anything great, to pursue anything worthy, it takes hard work, it takes consistency, and it takes commitment. Sometimes people need an example.
What You’ll Learn
- How to be physically and mentally primed to be a dad and husband
- Charlie’s 3 fitness goals
- to be able to kick butt
- to defend himself and his family
- be able to run a 15 mile obstacle race on any day
- How he does 1000 pushups in 40 minutes
- How physical fitness instills confidence
- How Charlie transitioned to speaking and writing after his fighting career was over
- About his 7 episode-a-week podcast, The Spaniard
- How, contrary to belief, fighters do experience fear
- How Charlie acknowledges that he is afraid, self-conscious, and anxious and keeps going anyway
- Why we need to get over the idea that fear is weakness
- How to distract yourself from negative thoughts
- Charlie’s greatest fears as a father
- How he had to reframe his ideas about his kids, allowing them to become what they want and not who he wants them to be
- Resisting the trap of living vicariously through your kids’ activities
- How to teach kids integrity and live that example as well
- Why as a father, you must be open an honest when you make a mistake, explaining things and admitting your faults not matter how young your kids are
- How to find the work that makes you come alive
- Charlie’s mission for his podcast—to help listeners of all ages develop character, perseverance, and resilience
- His advice for those who want to create something
- How to have the courage to keep going even when times get tough
- How to get beyond surface doubt and tap into your heart and soul
- How to overcome the overwhelm of getting started
- Being prepared to play the long game
- How to enjoy the moment of the success in the face of new goals
- His best marital advice—Read The 5 Love Languages
- The best part of his marriage—How his wife’s body has changed since becoming a mother
- The most satisfying part of being a father and the most challenging parts
- Charlie’s challenge! Read a book, take a pic, post it tagging Charlie, and he’ll retweet/share it to his audience @charliespaniard.
Don’t take your frustrations out on other people, especially your kids
Charlie Brenneman: How to Live a Life of Excellence
Brenneman vs. Hagner: The Good Dad Project Interview
How to Break the Cycle of the Fixed Mindset with Larry Yatch
How to Instill the Growth Mindset in Your Kids with Larry Yatch
Secrets of the Navy SEAL Mindset: Courage, Confidence, Perseverance and Resilience
Extreme Ownership for Fathers with Leif Babin
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman’s links
Fill out an application for The Dad Edge Alliance
Grab a copy of The Dad’s Edge AUDIOBOOK on iTunes or Audible
GRAB A COPY OF THE DAD’S EDGE HERE
Join our Dad Edge Group on Facebook Request Entry Here
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become a member of The Dad Edge Alliance
Learn More About Our Live Event!
June 6th – 8th 2019
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!