We are going to be in awe and on fire with this powerful show! Our guest not only overcame extreme adversity but has used it as an opportunity to grow and touch the lives of thousands.
John O’Leary is a speaker and the host of the Live Inspired Podcast. He is the bestselling author of On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life. His new book is In Awe: Rediscover Your Childlike Wonder to Unleash Inspiration, Meaning, and Joy.
Today he talks about the horrific fire that burned nearly 100% of his body and how he turned it into a force to inspire. He tells us how the power of a father’s love can pull us through anything and how we as dads can be worthy examples for our kids. We also discuss how to regain our childlike wonder and curiosity to live a richer, more fulfilling life.
Are you ready to live in awe?
“You can be a victim or a victor.”
John O’Leary has lived through worse than most can imagine.
At the age of nine, John was severely burned on 100% of his body. No one expected him to survive the first night. But he did. He then survived months in a hospital bed, dozens of surgeries, and years of therapy. Before his tenth birthday, John lost all of his fingers to amputation.
This wasn’t the end. John’s journey was just beginning. From this tragedy, John received the greatest gift – embracing the truth that regardless of our personal and professional challenges, we choose how to.
- Navigate adversity through decision-making
- Reveal a brighter vision for what’s possible
- Live boldly to impact others
As a boy in that hospital bed, John could not have foreseen the amazing things he would accomplish. But his journey proved more empowering and rewarding than he could have ever imagined. It gave him strength. It fueled and drove him on. It provided hope. It taught him compassion and understanding, and it gave him a solid foundation for living.
Some call John a survivor, but he is so much more than that. John O’Leary is a beacon of hope, and he’s ready to share his message with you.
There once was a time when we joyfully raised our hands to answer questions, connected easily with others, believed that anything was possible, and fearlessly jumped into new experiences. A time when we viewed each day not as something to endure, but as a marvelous gift to explore and savor—when we danced through our lives in awe of the ordinary moments and eager for the promise of tomorrow.
Unfortunately, that’s far from our experience today. Instead, we feel disconnected and jaded. Social media reminds us that we don’t measure up, and the mainstream media barrages us with constant negativity. Many of us find ourselves caught in a life of dogged responsibility and mind-numbing repetition. The daily struggle to earn a living has caused us to lose the sense of wonder with which we once greeted every day.
In his new book, bestselling author John O’Leary invites us to consider that it is possible to once again navigate the world as a child does. Identifying five senses children innately possess and that we’ve lost touch with as we age, O’Leary shares emotional, humorous, and inspirational stories intertwined with fascinating new research showing how each of us can reclaim our childlike joy, and why doing so will change how we interact with the world.
What You’ll Learn
- Your kids are watching—not only how you handle success, but when we’re struggling. Give them an example that’s worthy.
- The beautiful thing about tragedy is you come face to face with things that actually matter.
- Life puts us in a storm every single day and a father’s love pulls us through.
- Be bold enough to be real.
- You can be a victim or a victor.
- Kids constantly unleash meaning, inspiration, and joy.
- Adults are less likely to climb, get back up when we fall, and move forward afterward.
- Greatness is loving the one in front of you.
- How COVID has been one of the most remarkable times of John’s marriage.
- Adults endure the day, our relationships, waiting for vacation and missing life.
- Kids are fearless and questioning. They want to know why.
- Adults pursue happiness. Kids reflect it.
- Getting back to a state of wonder.
- Returning to childlike (not childish) behavior in the workplace
- Think about the possibilities. What is now? What could be? And let’s go!
- Go for the moonshot. Like Kennedy said, not because it’s easy, but because it’s hard.
- Don’t ignore the taps on the shoulder life gives you.
- Be open to saying yes.
- Show kids generosity in action.
- 5 million Americans attempted suicide.
- Little steps can make a mighty difference. The best days are in front of you.
- You are worthy, and you are enough. The more realize it, the more impact you have.
- What you focus on grows.
- If you’re trying to be a better dad, focus on the good. Track, record, celebrate and share.
YNAB. You Need a Budget
Get a FREE Trial at YNAB.com/dads
Leave an iTunes review.
Get a FREE book!
If you’re enjoying the show, leave us an itunes review. If your review is chosen as the iTunes Review-of-the Week, we’ll send you the free book of your choice!
Thanks for the support!
John O’Leary’s Links
Join our Dad Edge Group on Facebook
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
FREE chapter from THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE
FREE EBOOK: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
FREE EBOOK: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
Follow The Dad Edge
Don’t settle for a mediocre life.
Join over 420 men becoming their best selves
in The Dad Edge Alliance.
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!