Finding Balance as a Dad and Being a Learning Leader with Ryan Hawk – GDP019
[iframe style=”border:none” src=”http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3737215/height/75/width/834/thumbnail/no/theme/standard” height=”75″ width=”834″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Finding Balance and Being a Leader
Shawn and I had an opportunity to interview Ryan Hawk, from the Learning Leader Show. Ryan is a father of five daughters (yes 5!), a leader in his corporate position, a former college and arena football quarterback, and now has a very successful podcast called “The Learning Leader Show.” Ryan was a perfect guest to have on the show. Not only is he a busy father of five, but he has become a student of leadership and fatherhood. Ryan shares what he has learned over the past several years being a successful athlete, corporate leader, successful podcaster, and finding balance in the journey of fatherhood.
Key Takeaways from Episode
- How to lead our kids by example
- How to positively build everyone up in the family
- Why being a student of leadership will make you a better dad
- Why being a passionate learner will make you a better man and have a more enjoyable life
- Finding balance in life despite being a busy dad burning the candle at both ends
Tip #1: Encourage Your Kids to Compliment Each Other
During our interview, Ryan shared a game changing tip that is so simple, yet so effective. At times, we all struggle with what to talk about at the dinner table that can get everyone involved. Ryan tells us that one of their family dinner traditions is to go around the table and each person shares one great thing about everyone else in the family. It can be something positive that they did that day or even something they just truly appreciate about the other person. I thought this was an epic tip because it not only teaches the whole family to reflect on gratitude, but also a reflection with a personal compliment about each member of the family.
Tip #2: How Being a “Student of Fatherhood” Will Make You a Better Dad
Finding balance in life means being a student of life. Being a student of life will always keep you curious and uncomfortable. I realize that sounds like an odd combination, but it’s actually a recipe for success. When we are always open to learning new ways to sharpen our craft, we will become better in every aspect of life. Learning to be a better corporate leader/employee, athlete, or entrepreneur can easily translate to us being better fathers.
Because “learners” are always searching for ways to become better. Our natural curiosity as learners opens our minds to new and better solutions to everyday obstacles. Fatherhood, just like anything else, is a learned skill. There is truly no manual for fatherhood. However, always being open to how we can do it better will empower us as Dads.
Tip #3: Finding Balance While Balancing Everything
How can we manage our day, demands, priorities, work/life balance, and the day to day grind instead of our day managing us?
In this episode, Ryan gives some great tips that help him balance it all.
- Marriage and the relationship with our wives/significant is a first priority
- The kids and all of their activities are just as important as the marriage
- Ryan prioritizes his days and maps out exactly what needs to be done and when he will do everything
- He also has drastically cut down his time watching TV and other unproductive activities. Moreover, he has replaced those activities with more self development projects, such as his podcast and business.
Tip #4: Finding Balance Means Taking Action and Remaining Uncomfortable
The most successful people in the world are the ones that simply take action and live outside of their comfort zone. Successful people are always striving to push harder and grow in every area of their lives. Teaching our kids to take action, step out of their comfort zones, and to always remain curious are some of the best life lessons we can pass down.
Check out a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
- Shawn’s Website
- Shawn’s Twitter Page
- Shawn’s Facebook Page
- Shawn’s Instagram Page
Books mentioned in this episode:
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath http://www.amazon.com/StrengthsFinder-2-0-Tom-Rath/dp/159562015X
- Fascinate by Sally Hogshead http://www.amazon.com/Fascinate-Your-Triggers-Persuasion-Captivation/dp/0061714704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438534426&sr=1-1&keywords=fascinate
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Good Dad Project. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute to subscribe and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
- Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS